The angels danced the day you were born

Six years ago today we welcomed our baby boy into our lives. What an amazing journey it has been. Happy Birthday son! I can still remember it like it was yesterday. Leading up to his birth was so very traumatic for us and for everyone around us. To be told that your baby was not expected to live is devastating. To hear that he has multiple broken bones, that he must be in pain and to feel so helpless.


I remember sitting in Connor's room in the rocking chair, holding my belly and wishing I could just keep him safe inside.


There were so many people in the operating room (18). All those people focused and ready. The top perinatologist and neonatologist in the Province. All I hoped for was to hear him cry. The sound was music to my ears. He screamed and kicked, not something a baby with multiple fractures would do. I have a very raw photo of my first glimpse of Connor as I was still on the operating table. It has true emotion and is still hard to look at this very day. I thought it might be my only time to see me son alive. John followed Connor on his special foam to the NICU. He Apgar scores were extremely high and the neonatologist said he was doing well. It wasn't until sometime later that John fought to get a true diagnosis for Connor. He did not have broken bones. He had a form of dwarfism called Achondroplasia. We were over the moon with joy.


Connor is an amazing boy. Everyday is the "Best Day Ever". He is thriving at school, adored by his teacher and classmates. To them he is just Connor, not Connor the LP (Little Person). He loves his Beaver Colony, swimming, and T-ball. He argues about going to bed every night and insists that he's 5 and therefore should be allowed to stay up. He annoys his older sister and adores the younger one. He's shy around people he doesn't know and outgoing around those he does. He loves the WII, gameboy, the computer and boy can he work his way around an IPad. We love you so much son! You keep us on our toes and we are thankful for it.

Comments

Purplestamper said…
Marla,

I love your blog. Your honesty and hope! Keep writing and sharing I love it. Happy Birthday to Connor. He chose the best parents ever.

Sheri
Marla Ryan said…
Thanks Sheri...it was your blog that made me start again. Your honesty inspired me to write and it has helped so much!