How does one deal?

It's been a difficult time at the Ryan household as we try to come to terms with the sudden passing of Rhys Lewis. Rhys was just 3. We had known him and his family since he was about 8 months old. You see Rhys has the same type of dwarfism that my son has (Achondroplasia). I found his mom on one of the websites known as a yahoo chat group, Parents of Little People. She had posted that they lived in Port Coquitlam in BC. I thought to myself "that's really close. I need to contact this mom." There was an immediate connection, as we shared stories of our sons births and development. The struggles that moms of children with differences go through. Ups and downs and milestones. We connected over our daughters, teaching and other things we have in common. Time continued as if they(the entire family) had never NOT been a part of our lives. Playdates, brunches, late night coffee's at Bread Garden, LPBC events and even the big LPA Conference in Anaheim this past year became just part of our lives.
Last Friday when I received the news that Rhys suddenly passed away, I was in complete shock. "No this can't be" I said to myself. It's been almost a week and I still can't really and truly accept the truth that is now our reality. My heart breaks for Deena, Scott, Mia and the entire family. There are no words of condolences for dear friends that have lost their little boy. Though little he may have been his personality and enthusiasm for all things was huge. Rhys would light up the room with his blonde hair and big blue eyes. His love of sports, games and chips were evident. He will be held dearly to our hearts forever. Connor is too young to really and truly grasp the concept that Rhys is gone but Alyra understands and is deeply saddened. We will miss you Rhys. I promise that we will never forget the enormous impact that you had on those around you. I will never forget your spirit and love of life. I will continue to be there for your mom, dad and sister. I will send them hugs and love. I will continue to educate and inform people that LP's are just like everyone else, just a bit smaller.

Comments