Things I've learned ... Part 1

When Mr. C was born the learning curve was pretty steep.  The mass of information coming our way was immense.  One thing I did learn was how to address a Little Person.  I wasn't familiar with the language...remember I had just arrived in Holland.  One term that is considered inappropriate is the word Midget...yes I wrote it.... 
One Mom in the States (A is for Adelaide) wrote a company about their pickles and the label on the pickles.  Good on ya is what I say...I've often thought about writing to Tupperware over their "midget" containers.  But have not.  Let me tell you that that word sticks out.  It could hidden on a shelf, behind something else and as a parent of a LP...it will jump out at me.  Just after Mr. C was born I had a Tupperware party and that word jumped from the page of a catologue.  Any word that might hurt or upset my son is a word I would like to see gone from the english language(but obviously I can't keep him in a bubble).  As a parent it is up to me to try and educate people around me.  As a teacher even more so.  The comments that have been thrown at this mom are horrendous.  That someone would say her daughter is an abomination is down right ignorant. I've stopped reading them as they show me the side of people I would like to believe does not exist.   
As my son becomes more self aware and realizes he's different I can only hope that the amount of ignorant people he comes in contact with in his life will be small.   But I am a realist.  Score one for the POLP family.  One pickle company is changing their ways, all because a Mom of a LP cared enough to educate and stand up for her child. 

Comments